Rural development is the process of improving the quality of life and economic well-being of people living in relatively isolated and sparsely populated areas.
According to the National Development Plan (2030), Agricultural development in the rural areas is based on successful land reform, employment creation and strong environmental safeguards.
NPOs focus on one or more of the following areas:
• to ensure access to basic services,
• food security
• Empowerment of farm workers.
• Promotion of the Asset Based Community Development (ABCD) model. The ABCD model seeks to shift the mindset from a need based approach to a developmental approach.
• Land use and Redistribution
• Economic Opportunities
• Equal Access (Service delivery)
• Sustainable development
• Skills development